When we start talking about traffic accidents, there tends to be a lot of gloom and doom. Crashes happen far too frequently – all you have to do is tune in to the local news to find out about the latest ones – and they are quite costly, for both individuals and society as a whole.
Back in December, though, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a report that gave us some good news. According to the 2013 Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) data, traffic fatalities decreased 3.1 percent from the 2012 statistics, and a decline of almost 25 percent from the numbers reported in 2004. In comparison with the 2012 statistics, the number of people injured as a result of roadway accidents also showed a decline of 2.1 percent.
The decline in traffic fatalities from 2012 numbers was reflected across almost all categories of vehicles:
· passenger vehicle occupant fatalities declined by 3 percent.
· large truck occupant fatalities declined by 0.9 percent.
· motorcyclist fatalities declined by 6.4 percent.
· pedestrian fatalities declined by 1.7 percent.
· pedalcyclist fatalities, however, increased by 1.2 percent.
The number of crash-related injuries decreased across all categories of vehicles:
· passenger vehicle occupant injuries declined by 2.2 percent.
· large truck occupant injuries declined by 4 percent.
· motorcyclist injuries declined by 5.4 percent.
· pedestrian injuries declined by 13 percent.
· pedalcyclist injuries declined by 2 percent.
Despite the decrease in fatalities and injuries, it’s important to remember that individual lives are still affected every day by motor vehicle accidents. As NHTSA Deputy Administrator David Friedman notes, “Almost 90 people on average lose their lives each day – and more than 250 are injured every hour – due to drunk driving, not wearing a seatbelt, and the many other factors associated with traffic crashes.”
After a car accident, an experienced attorney is one of the few people who will advocate for your best interests. Robert Greening is the principal attorney at Greening Law, P.C. He has dedicated his 24 years of practice to the litigation of wrongful death and serious injury cases. If you have any questions, contact Greening Law, P.C. at 972-934-8900.